Every award show has its own personality. The Golden Globes are a celebrity booze fest, while the Academy Awards are a parade of Hollywood glamour. The Grammys, however, are altogether different. They combine the glitz of an award show with the unpredictability of a concert, and the fashion is no exception.
Musicians are known to wear show-stopping ensembles during their performances, so it’s expected that they take their theatrical fashion sense onto the red carpet. Music’s biggest night allows stars to take more style risks, which is why the Grammys are always entertaining to watch.
The stars weren’t the only thing shining last night. From Taylor Swift’s floor length chain mail gown to Daft Punk’s polished helmets, metallics were the trend of the night. Metallic tones were also popular at the Golden Globes, so look for this trend to continue throughout awards season.
While some stars glowed in golds and silvers, others wowed in red. Some of music’s biggest names looked flawless in a bold red. Colbie Caillat and Miranda Lambert showed off the adventurous color in dramatically different silhouettes.
No matter what trend they followed, the women of music rocked the red carpet. Here are the Top 10 Best Dressed from the 2014 Grammys.
10. Paris HiltonThis dress could so easily have been on the worst dress list, but because it’s the Grammys, it works. It’s the perfect blend of risk and glamour.
9. PinkPink should try out red more often. This structured number made the half-punk half-pop singer look all kinds of gorgeous.
8. CiaraExpecting stars are definitely having a moment in 2014. First it was Olivia Wilde at the Golden Globes, and now Ciara looks absolutely glowing in this gold Emilio Pucci gown.
7. Colbie CaillatAlthough I can’t say I love her styling, the peak-a-book cutout through the collarbone is a standout. Bye-bye bohemian Caillat, and hello sultry siren.
6. Miranda LambertCountry singers often get slack for their lack of fashion sense, but the “All Kinds of Kinds” singer channeled old Hollywood in this plunging Pamella Roland dress.
5. Katy PerrySome may say that wearing music notes on music’s biggest night is a little obvious. However, I say that the “Roar” singer pulled off this whimsical look with effortless charm.
4. Christine TeigenNormally Mrs. John Legend is just good arm candy, but she made a statement all her own in this metallic Johanna Johnson gown.
3. Rita OraIs it gold? Is it silver? Or is it green? I am not entirely sure, but I am positive that Ora looked stunning in this metallic chameleon dress.
2. Kasey MusgravesMusgraves’ Armani Prive gown was bold yet graceful, just like the singer’s Grammy award winning album.
1. Taylor SwiftI think it’s fair to say that the “All Too Well” singer has evolved beyond the princess ball gown. This chain mail dress makes the pop star look like a sophisticated woman.