Credit: Jennifer Graylock/INFphoto.comSara Bareilles’ first album Careful Confessions came out 10 years ago but it wasn’t until a bit more recently that the singer-songwriter really broke into the mainstream. In 2007 she saw the first signs of mainstream success when her single “Love Song” made it to No. 4 on the Billboard Pop 100 chart and went on to garner her a Grammy nomination for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance.
Bareilles has been nominated for a Grammy five times since 2009 and this year her album The Blessed Unrest was nominated for Album of the Year while the single “Brave” was nominated for Best Pop Solo Performance. She was also asked to perform a duet with musical legend Carole King, and the two did a mash-up of “Beautiful” and “Brave” at the 56th Annual Grammy Awards.
In 2011 Bareilles could be found on your TV screen every week where she was a guest judge on Season 3 of The Sing-Off with fellow musician, Ben Folds. Folds would go on to produce her EP Once Upon Another Time in May 2012.
Bareilles will kick off her “Little Black Dress” summer tour in Chicago on July 10th.
These are our top 10 Sara Bareilles songs. There are so many amazing songs that couldn’t fit on the list so add a comment below telling us your favorites that didn’t make it on.[ new page = Manhattan ]
10. “Manhattan”This melancholy song is a goodbye both to a past love and to the magical borough of Manhattan. It’s a simple yet lovely song about letting go.
[ new page = Gonna Get Over You ]
9. “Gonna Get Over You”“Gonna Get Over You” is surprisingly fun and upbeat for a break-up song, which is refreshing. Also, the video is absolutely adorable.
[ new page = Winter Song ]
8. “Winter Song”We assert this is proof that Sara Bareilles and Ingrid Michaelson were made to make sweet, sweet music together. Their voices blend beautifully to create the perfect Christmas duet. Great for a day spent inside sipping tea while the gorgeous harmonies wash over you.
[ new page = The Light ]
7. ”The Light”The song may start out slow but there is such a wonderful build that it almost feels like you’ve made it all the way to the top of a mountain by the end. Or at the very least a tall hill.
[ new page = Love Song ]
6. ”Love Song”All hail Sara Bareilles, Queen of Pop. Of course underneath the bubble-gum pop are strong lyrics from an even stronger woman. “Love Song” is all about empowerment and standing up for oneself after all.
[ new page = Little Black Dress ]
5. ”Little Black Dress”At her Radio City Music Hall show last October, Bareilles described this as her “pep talk song.” It is indeed the perfect remedy for a case of the blues but it’s also just great to put on while getting ready to out, or simply to enjoy while dancing around your living room.
[ new page = Let The Rain ]
4. ”Let The Rain”You sort of can’t help but tap along to this super catchy tune. Actually, we’re pretty sure it’s impossible.
[ new page = King Of Anything ]
3. ”King Of Anything”We’ve all known our fair share of people who thought they were Kings of Everything. Well, in “King Of Anything” Sara Bareilles says exactly what you wanted to say to all those condescending know-it-alls. She also reminds you that she is certainly not here to be painted as your damsel in distress.
[ new page = Stay ]
2. ”Stay”This song boasts some of Bareilles’ best vocals. She’s not afraid to slow it down or belt it out.
[ new page = Brave ]
1. ”Brave” Bareilles is one in a long list of artists whose songs feature the ups and downs of romantic relationships. The beauty of “Brave” is its celebration of self-love and courage. It’s especially poignant in context of her earlier songs like “Let the Rain” where she talks about how she wishes she were brave. Now you are, Sara. And so are we!