Our society has always placed an emphasis on worshipping celebrities – following their personal lives, looking to them as role models, and supporting their ever-growing careers.However, many people seem to forget that Hollywood’s entertainment industry is made up of several components – cinema, music, theater, television, and radio. Because of this, it is quite common to be unaware that there are several celebrities in each of these categories that are related to one another.
We have compiled list that includes everything from mother and daughter, to cousins, to godparents, to step fathers, to in-laws, many of which will come as a surprise to many fans.
While you may love these celebrities on their own, it is fascinating to look at the many familial relationships that are present in entertainment industry in general. Here are our top 10 related celebrities that you may have forgotten (or even knew about), so the next time you are out with friends you can impress them with your knowledge of which celebrities are related to whom!
[ new page= Tom Cruise]
10. Tom Cruise and William Mapother
Do you remember Ethan Rom from ABC’s Lost? Did you know that the actor, William Mapother, is related to Mission: Impossible star Tom Cruise? What most fans don’t know is that the two actor’s fathers are brothers, making them first cousins! Cruise, who was born as Thomas Cruise Mapother IV, changed his name to Tom Cruise at the start of the career, so it is no surprise that many fans are unaware of the two celebs relationship.
Mapother even dished to People that the two cousins would reenact action movies at family reunions when they were younger.
“We would put our feet on the other’s [skateboard] and go straight down the hill,” explained William. “We’d crash and then do it all over again.”
Images via Nancy Rivera/ACE/INFphoto.comScott and Kirkland/INFphoto.com
[ new page= Ray J ]
9. Ray J and Brandy Norwood“Sexy Can I” singer Ray J, who recently revealed to TMZ that he regrets making the Kim Kardashian sex tape, is related to R&B singer, Brandy Norwood.
The two Hollywood celebrities have the same parents, Willie Norwood, who is a famous Gospel singer, and Sonja Bates-Norwood, who acts as the celebrity’s manager. The family appeared on VH1’s Brandy & Ray J: A Family Business, a reality television show which followed the two celebrities around as they struggled to take their careers to the next level.
Image via Devan/INFGoff.com
[ new page= Rashida Jones ]
8. Rashida Jones and Quincy JonesParks & Recreation actress Rashida Jones is the daughter of music legend Quincy Jones, who has worked with a number of talented musicians – including Michael Jackson and Frank Sinatra.
“I wouldn’t trade my family for anything,” Rashida dished to Glamour Magazine in 2005. “My mother shocked her Jewish parents by marrying out of her religion and race. And my father: growing up poor and black, buckling the odds and becoming so successful, having the attitude of ‘I love this woman! We’re going to have babies and to hell with anyone who doesn’t like it!’”
Image via Kamil Krzaczynski/INFevents.com
[ new page= Jenny McCarthy]
7. Jenny McCarthy and Melissa McCarthy Did you know ex The View co-host, Jenny McCarthy, and Tammy actress, Melissa McCarthy, are cousins?
The two cousins have had rumors circulating about whether or not they have a good relationship, however, Jenny recently revealed there is no feud between the two celebrities.
Images via Kristin Callahan/ACE/INFphoto.com and Peter West/ACE/INFphoto.com
[ new page= Charlie Sheen]
6. Charlie Sheen, Martin Sheen, and Emilio Estevez The Sheen family are no strangers to Hollywood, with Apocalypse Now actor Martin Sheen being the father to Two and a Half Men star Charlie Sheen and The Breakfast Club actor Emilio Estevez.
Although this is one of the more popularly known familial relations, what many fans don’t know is that ‘Estevez’ is the Sheen’s family surname. However, Martin took on the surname ‘Sheen’ as his stage name, allowing for Charlie to adopt the stage name as well.
Images via INFphoto.com
[ new page= Alex Baldwin]
5. The Baldwins, the Mastersons, and the PhillipsAlec Baldwin qualifies as having one of the most confusing family lineages, which includes three famous familys – the Phillips, Mastersons, and Baldwins – being related to each other through marriage.
That 70’s Show actor Danny Masterson is married to Almost Famous actress Bijou Phillips, who is the sister of Wilson Phillips singer, Chynna Phillips. Because Alec’s brother, William Baldwin, married Chynna Phillips in 1995, Baldwin’s lineage includes not only the Phillips family but the Masterson family as well!
Image via INFphoto.com
[ new page= Owen Wilson ]
4. Owen Wilson and Luke WilsonDid you know Legally Blonde actor Luke Wilson is the brother of Wedding Crashers star Owen Wilson?
Although the two celebs share the same last name, many fans do not realize that the two actors share the same parents, photographer Laura Wilson and Robert Wilson. Talent definitely runs in the family!Image via INFGoff.com
[ new page= Drew Barrymore]
3. Drew BarrymoreWhile it is no secret 50 First Dates actress Drew Barrymore is the Goddaughter of one of the most famous cinematic directors, Steven Spielberg, we felt as though the dynamic duo deserved to make the list.
Drew Barrymore got her star in the entertainment industry when Spielberg casted her in the hit film E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, however, Spielberg has remained a large influence in the He’s Just Not That Into You actresses life.
“He’s been a very important mentor,” Barrymore told Metro. “He was the first stable male figure in my life. The best attribute a parent can have is consistency. I didn’t have that. When he said he would be there at three o’clock, he was there. That meant more to me than anything.”
Image courtesy of INFphoto.com
[ new page= Jessica Capshaw]
2. Jessica CapshawDrew Barrymore isn’t the only one who is related to Spielberg! Grey’s Anatomy actress Jessica Capshaw became Spielberg’s step-daughter when he married her mother, Kate Capshaw, when she was 15.
Although Capshaw had a strong familial tie to the entertainment industry, the actress spoke with USA Today, claiming that having Spielberg as her stepfather did not help with breaking into the industry.
“In a lot of ways it was actually not helpful to have famous parents because there is definitely a very human feeling of, ‘Well, when you come from all that, who wants to see that girl succeed,” the actress admitted.
[ new page= Kate Hudson]
1. Kate HudsonIt is no surprise that Overboard actress Goldie Hawn is the mother of the incredibly talented Something Borrowed star, Kate Hudson.
“The one thing they instilled in me is that you shouldn’t do anything unless you love it,” the actress told the Daily Mail in regards to advice she received from her famous parents. “But I still have to deal with criticism. Since I began acting, I’m answering the same questions about my parents – but you deal with that because you’re fine about it.”
Image courtesy of Roger Wong/INFevents.com