Restricted free-agent forward Mike Scott reached an agreement to stay with the Atlanta Hawks on Friday.
Earlier this summer Scott had received a qualifying offer from the Hawks. Scott could have signed with any team and the Hawks could have matched any contract that he signed. That wasn’t necessary though because in an exit interview in May Scott had said that he wanted to stay with the Hawks.
“I’m just going to leave that to the GM and the coaching staff but of course I want to come back,” Scott said in May.
The deal is for three years and $10 million, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Two of the three years are guaranteed. The third year is a team option.
“Glad to be back,” Scott tweeted with the hashtag #404.
Scott, 26, was the 43rd pick in the 2012 draft. He is starting to become a star player. He had a breakout year last year. In his second season last year, Scott averaged 9.6 points and 3.6 rebounds per game, according to Yahoo Sports. In the first-round playoff series against the Indiana Pacers he averaged 9.4 points and 2.6 rebounds. He had four double-figure scoring games in that series.
The Hawks will soon have 14 players under contract. Shelvin Mack and Kent Bazemore have yet to sign their deals. Mack, whose deal is for three years and $9.7 million, agreed to his deal last week.