Bean bag chairs recalled after two child deaths

August 22 20:55 2014

Millions of bean bags chairs are being recalled after two children died when they crawled inside the bags, inhaled the beads and suffocated.

According to, over 2 million of the chairs made by Ace Bayou Corp. do not meet industry standards and were recalled on Friday.

The chairs have zippers on the side which children can easily open and get caught inside the chair. It can also lead to choking hazards of the stuffing in the bags.

The Chicago Tribune noted that the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission said that the two suffocation deaths were one boy, aged 13, in Texas and one girl aged 3, in Kentucky. Both children were found dead inside the bags.

The popular bean bags have been sold at multiple retail stores and online. If your child is in possession of one, it should be taken away immediately. If you are unsure if you have an Ace Bayou Corp. chair you can contact the company directly with any questions.



view more articles

About Article Author

Michelle Kapusta
Michelle Kapusta

At Large Senior Editor, Temple University graduate, Philadelphia resident and avid sports fan.

View More Articles