Happy National Oreo Cookie Day!
That’s right. Today, March 6, marks National Oreo Cookie Day!
The Oreo sandwich cookie has become the best-selling cookie in the United States. According to the National Day Calendar, National Biscuit Company, now known as Nabisco, first developed this cookie. In fact, the first “Oreo Biscuit” was made in 1912 in a Chelsea factory in New York City.
Provided by International Business Times, here are a few facts to get you familiar with the sweet cookie:
- They can be found in more than 100 countries.
- Over 450 billion Oreos have been sold worldwide since their debut.
- They were first created and sold in tin cans for 30 cents per pound.
- If all the Oreos ever manufactured were stacked, they could reach the moon and back more than five times.
- It takes a total of 59 minutes to make an Oreo.
- Why exactly are the cookies called ‘Oreos?’ The mystery remains…
So, keep that in mind as you celebrate the world’s favorite cookie! Whether you use the cookie to bake marvelous, rich creations or just eat it with a glass of milk, use #NationalOreoCookieDay to post on social media.
Here are 11 sweet treats to make on this wonderful day!