- Special Features
- Blogs & Columns
- Fun & Games
After months of speculation, former Beatle Sir Paul McCartney has finally confirmed that he will be performing at the Opening Ceremony for the 2012 Summer Olympics in London next month.
McCartney, who performed at the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee concert over the weekend, confirmed the news on BBC Radio 5 Live, the BBC reports. "I've been booked," the “My Valentine” singer said, to be “closing the opening.”
As Rolling Stone points out, he will be just one of 15,000 cast members expected to perform during the ceremony, which is being put together by 127 Hours director Danny Boyle. Like past opening ceremonies, it is meant to show off the host country’s culture, something the songwriter has definitely had an impact on in the past 50 years.
McCartney also admitted during the interview that he still gets nervous before performing "on certain occasions.”
Back in January, McCartney told the media that he “might be doing something” for the Olympics. The press event was being held just days before he was set to have a meeting with organizers about “something they want me to do.”
Exactly what the ceremony will be like is being a heavily guarded secret, although Boyle did say last week that it would be partially inspired by Frankenstein.
The Opening Ceremony will be held on July 27. The games run through Aug. 12.