- Special Features
Blogs & Columns
- Fun & Games
Death is never easy. But, death on a soap opera is almost always over the top. Below is a list of the Top 10 Most Shocking deaths in soap opera history. All were shocking and most, if not all, made fans cry!
10. One Life to Live: Nash dies: Nash and Jared made a deal so Nash’s winery wouldn’t go to mysterious investors who planned on turning it into a “Hall of Tomorrow.” But, when Jared was outed as a fraud and all transactions he had executed as a Buchannan became null and void, Nash lost his winery and the investors forced Nash and wife Jessica to move out. Enraged, Nash confronted Jared and his girlfriend Natalie over their deception. During the argument, Jared shoved Jared away from Natalie and Nash fell through a skylight onto to the floor several stories below. Nash was rushed to the hospital but had suffered massive internal injuries. Jessica managed to tell Nash she was pregnant and with young daughter Bree at his bedside, Jessica vowed that their children would never forget him. Jessica and Nash shared a final kiss before he died in her arms.
9. All My Children: Stuart dies: Stuart was accidentally shot during a storm that knocked the power out. Stuart was dressed in a suit like Adam, to witness the changes in Adam’s will. The police believed that someone intended to kill Adam and mistook Stuart for him because of how he was dressed. Kendall turned out to be the shooter.
8. All My Children: Edmund dies: One night, Edmund called Zach's son and enemy Ethan, telling him he could get the proof that Zach shot Ryan if he had enough cash to pay whoever made a call to Bobby's cell phone the night of the shooting. Ethan gave Edmund the money and Edmund went to the stables to meet the mystery caller. When he got there he saw that a heater had been overturned. He stepped out of his wheelchair to set the heater upright, only to be slammed on the back of the head by a shovel. Zach, who was also in the stable, dragged him out of the burning building. Maria arrived on the scene and rushed him to the hospital, but his injuries were too severe and he died in the ER.
7. The Young & the Restless: Brad dies: In January of 2009, Sharon went up to the Abbott cabin at Twin Lakes to be alone and think about what to do with her life after she served Jack with divorce papers. Brad showed up and declared his love, but Sharon told him they had no future together and sent him away. On his drive home, Brad had car trouble, got out, and heard the screams of Noah Newman, who had gone skating with Eden and had fallen through the ice. Brad pulled Noah from the hole in the ice, but then he fell through himself and drowned. Meanwhile back in Genoa City, Abby and Colleen were concerned that Brad never showed for his dinner date with them so they got J.T. and Billy to help search for him. Colleen and J.T. found Brad’s car about the same time Noah remembered what had happened and told Victoria that it was Brad who rescued him. J.T. and Colleen heard a boy playing on the ice scream as he discovered Brad's body showing through the ice. J.T. checked out the situation and had to deliver the bad news to Colleen. Colleen and Abby were both devastated by the news, and Victoria and Ashley commiserated over the loss of their former husbands. Noah and Sharon both felt very guilty over Brad's death.
6. The Young & the Restless: Drucilla dies: In April of 2007, Sharon told Drucilla that Phyllis was blackmailing her over her affair with Brad. During a photo shoot, Phyllis and Sharon began fighting near a cliff and Drucilla intervened. They were fighting over a cell phone and all lost their balance and fell backward. Drucilla plunged over the cliff to the river below while Sharon was left hanging on for dear life. Phyllis tried to save her but Sharon lost her grip and also plunged into the river below. Rescuers later found Sharon’s seemingly lifeless body but she was revived. Drucilla was never found, just the jacket she wore before she fell.
5. General Hospital: Lucky dies: Lucky found a room above Jason Morgan's bike shop to rent in exchange for helping Jason at his shop. Lucky and Elizabeth had grown close following her rape, fell in love and were planning a life together. Their plans were cut short when a fire broke out at the shop. A body was found in Lucky's room upstairs with the necklace Lucky had given to Liz, leading everyone to believe that the body was Lucky.
4. General Hospital: Tony dies: In 2006, a rare encephalitis plague was exposed to the people of Port Charles courtesy of a monkey Luke brought back with him from one his many excursions. Tony continued to work at GH during the epidemic and treated others who became sick. During this time, he learned that his son Lucas was gay. The dutiful father let Lucas know that he was proud of him no matter what. Within hours of speaking to Lucas, Tony got violently ill. The antidote was eventually found but it was too late for Tony, who died with his beloved ex-wife Bobbie by his side along with Lucas and ex brother-in-law Luke. As he lay dying, Tony saw his beloved daughter BJ, who had come to take him to heaven.
3. All My Children: Leo dies: Leo and Greenlee got married in the spring of 2002. Later, Leo learned that Trey Kenyon, his mother Vanessa's lawyer, was in fact his long lost brother. Trey had assumed his dead best friend's identity and made his mission to wreak havoc on the mother who had abandoned him at birth. Leo forgave Trey for his machinations against him. Vanessa knew of the real Proteus treasure -- a fortune in diamonds. Greenlee demanded that Leo finally give up his "loser" family for good and he agreed. But, before their flight to Paris, he received a call from David and left Greenlee temporarily to help him. Unfortunately, Vanessa took this opportunity to kidnap Greenlee. She took her to Miller's Falls and told Leo he had to find and give her the diamonds before she would release Greenlee. Frantic, Leo found the jewels and raced to the falls with Trey. When Vanessa refused to release Greenlee, Leo began dropping the priceless gems over the falls, one by one. Vanessa agreed to do as he wished, but actually planned to kill Greenlee. When Leo realized this, he dove over the falls with his mother. His body was never recovered.
2. The Young & the Restless: Cassie dies: Cassie turned 14 and began to hang out at Crimson Lights with her 16-year-old friends, Lily Winters and Sierra Hoffman. She had a crush on 16-year-old Daniel Romalotti. Word was going around school about a secret party to be held in a park. All the older crowd were going, and Cassie just had to go too -- especially since Daniel said he would be there. Cassie ended up at the party and found Daniel drunk on beer he bought from his friend Sam, trying to get over being separated from Lily. The party ended late, and everyone left. Cassie, who had not been drinking, assured her friends she had a way home, then found Daniel passed out in the back seat of his convertible. Deciding he was too drunk to get home, Cassie took his keys and started the car even though she hadn't had a lesson or learner's permit. CRASH! Since both were thrown from the car, and neither remembered a thing, no one realized that Cassie had been driving. A bruised up Daniel was later arrested and spent the night in jail. Back in the ICU after brain surgery, Cassie was fighting for her life. Suddenly, Cassie sat bolt upright -- she remembered --she was driving! After attempts to tell her mother Sharon or to use the phone failed, she got out of bed, pulled out her IV and staggered out of the hospital, intent on finding and telling Daniel! She somehow found her way to Crimson Lights and Lily and Daniel rushed to her as she collapsed. Cassie attempted to tell Daniel the truth, but all she could get out was "crash." Anxiously, her family held vigil while Cassie's fever heightened and Newman-financed specialists arrived too late to help. Victor, Nikki, Victoria, brother Noah, and Grandma Doris arrived and sadly said their goodbyes and I love you’s, and left her alone with Nick and Sharon. One last whisper in Nick's ear that it wasn't Daniel's fault, as he chokingly sang her a lullaby while Sharon hugged her, viewers saw flashbacks of the adorable child Cassie was and then she slipped away.
1. General Hospital: BJ dies: BJ, Bobbie and Tony Jones’ young daughter went off on the bus to school early one morning in 1994 and never came back. The bus driver had an accident and though Miguel was nearby and did what he could. BJ was rushed to GH and deemed with brain dead. Her father, Tony didn’t want to let his little girl go but elsewhere in the hospital, BJ’s cousin, Maxie, was in desperate need of a heart transplant. Initially, Tony was steadfast against letting Maxie have BJ’s heart believing he could save her being a brain surgeon, but once he saw all hope was lost, he consented to let Maxie have BJ’s heart.