- Special Features
- Blogs & Columns
- Fun & Games
As much as I adore Rihanna, I can’t help but cringe at some of the fashion choices she has made both on and off the red carpet. But when this global sensation gets it right, boy does she turn heads.
Named Esquire’s Sexiest Woman Alive in 2011, it is no wonder that the “Where Have You Been” singer makes men…and women’s mouths drop, but more so when she chooses the right clothing. Just like her daring lifestyle, Rihanna takes pleasure in breaking fashion boundaries and her “I’ll do and wear whatever I want” attitude is what makes her so appealing.
Below is a list of Rihanna’s top 10 best fashion moments that proves this Barbados native is one of our generation’s greatest fashion icons.
10. The 24-year-old kept it classy and surprisingly simple at the 2011 Billboard Music Awards. Rihanna’s relaxed and sophisticated white suit was a look we’re not used to seeing from the sultry artist but it worked extremely well. She still managed to funk up the look with a neckline that went down to her navel and a red curly ‘do.
9. Rihanna wore white once again for the L.A. premiere of her first movie, Battleship, in May 2012. The Adam Selman gown’s plunging neckline and thigh-high slit combined with her red lips and jet-black hair was absolute perfection.
8. The performer dazzled in a gold sequin number at the 2012 BRIT Awards. Rihanna paired her Givenchy Haute Couture by Riccardo Tisci gown with brown leather gloves, equally extravagant heels and Solange Azagury Partridge jewels.
7. RiRi once again showed off her ridiculously great body and glowing skin at the 2007 Grammy Awards. Her green cutout gown, designed by Roberto Cavalli, was a sexy take on the popular Grecian style. At the time, Rihanna was wearing her hair in a simple yet chic lob (or a long bob). This style is certainly a far cry from her most recent hairdos.
6.Besides her misstep on the red carpet, Rihanna looked ladylike in lace at the 2010 NRJ Music Awards in Cannes, France. Her Jean Paul Gaultier gown featured a beautiful white lace overlay, a metallic underlay and a tantalizing low back.
5. Rihanna heated up London Fashion Week 2012 in a slinky teal gown while attending the Stella McCartney Evening Wear Presentation. The backless number, also featuring a plummeting neckline and thigh-high slit, looked out-of-this-world amazing on the blonde haired beauty. Her dazzling gold jewels and strappy heels didn’t hurt either.
4. Gracing the cover of Vogue’s 2011 Annual Shape Issue, Rihanna smoldered in an exquisite Chanel gown. The bombshell’s enviable figure was accentuated by the designer’s stunning creation and her hair’s brilliant red color completed the fiery look.
3. The Met Gala attracts the most fashion forward celebrities so it was no wonder Rihanna attended this year’s event. She pulled out all the stops in a jaw-dropping Stella McCartney lace gown and killer Christian Louboutin heels. The “We Found Love” singer added her own touch by wearing her fierce red hair in a long braid.
2. We all know Rihanna loves to boldly rock sheer fabrics and that is just what she did on the 2010 American Music Awards’ red carpet. The superstar donned an Elie Saab Haute Couture creation. The maroon color went beautifully with her deep red hair and skin tone.
1.When I first laid eyes on Rihanna at the 2012 Grammy Awards, I immediately declared her best dressed of the night. Her barely-there Giorgio Armani gown highlighted every asset and fit like a glove. The fashion frontrunner, who helped with the design process, told E! her look was inspired by Michelle Pfeiffer’s character in Scarface.