- Special Features
- Blogs & Columns
- Fun & Games
With all of the buzz around the new season of American Idol, the biggest question on everyone’s mind, is who will join Mariah Carey, at the judge’s table?
There are rumors as to who may take those spots and join the ranks of Paula Abdul and Simon Cowell, but no one knows what is true and what is false. So, to help you navigate the crazy coverage this story is getting, and hopefully make you think about the people who aren’t getting chosen yet, here is a list of the top ten people who should judge with Mariah Carey.
10. Nick Jonas: He is already being rumored to take a seat at the judge’s table, and I have to say that I agree wholeheartedly! He is adorable and at the tender age of 19, he has been around the industry long enough to know what flies and what doesn’t. The kid did Broadway for Pete’s sake, so I think he can surely tell between the Sanjayas of the world and the Kelly Clarksons.
9. Enrique Iglesias: This one is a newer rumor, but I like it all the same. Latin singer-songwriter and super hunk, Enrique Iglesias is said to have been offered a spot. I think he could add a whole new level to the show and definitely add some diversity. And if the judges this season perform as much as JLo did last season, then this is perfect! Who doesn’t want to hear a chord or two or, “Hero”?? Enrique is just what the show needs for some flavor!
8. Keith Urban: Not only is Keith Urban a huge country star and Australian, but he is married to Nicole Kidman. Those three characteristics do not an American Idol judge make. However, he has won multiple awards including Grammys and Country Music Awards, so he clearly knows a thing or two about the music industry and can surely help hopefuls rise to the top!
7. Nicki Minaj: Who doesn’t love Nicki Minaj? If you rose your hand then you can just skip ahead to the next person on this list. However, if you didn’t raise your hand, you can rejoice in the fact that reports indicate Nicki is pretty close to a deal to join this season. She will add the right amount of quirkiness to the show, and as much as I loved tuning in to see which type of feather Steven Tyler would don per episode, I’m sure I would tune in just just the same to see what Nicki Minaj wears, or doesn’t wear on a weekly basis. She would definitely change the entire dynamic of the show!
6. Carrie Underwood: She is not on the top contender’s list, and I suppose her career is too hot for her to take a break and join American Idol, but how great would that be if she did join the team? It would be like she would be coming back home and showing how far she has come! She could bring some inspiration to the contestants and show them that dreams do come true, and she is proof!
5. The “Pants On The Ground” Guy: This old guy had quite possibly the best song of 2012! Well, unless you take into account Justin Bieber, One Direction, or any real singers out there. But, with such a shake up in the show this season, we may not know how long it will stick around. So, if they want ratings, bring this guy back and every time the show gets slow, have him throw his pants on the ground and sing a little something! That would surely keep the show running for another 11 years!
4. Taylor Swift: She is such a success at such a young age and has so much wisdom when it comes to the music industry! So, why not put her on the show? She could be like the Paula of the new generation and be sweet to each and every contestant, while Mariah just belts out a high C note making them feel completely inadequate in every way!
3. William Hung: Now, just stay with me on this one....He is one of the most infamous American Idol auditions in the history of time! Everyone remembers his classic rendition of Ricky Martin’s “She Bangs”!! You’d be lying if you said that every time you heard that song, you didn’t have flashbacks to the young man in a blue Hawaiian shirt doing a very awkward little dance. So, he may not have talent, or be able to tell what talent is, but think about it...anyone that he liked, you just vote against. It would make Mariah’s life easier, and us as the voters would know just what to do, instead of mixed messages the judges normally deliver!
2. Justin Timberlake: So, he is way too big to take a judging seat on American Idol, but that is because he clearly knows what he is doing. He is good looking and an amazing singer-songwriter and would have such wise wisdom on how to make it big in the industry. Although, I have a feeling you’d have less people watching for the show and more just to see if Justin will whip out a microphone and sing a song, which he hasn’t done in far too long!!
1. Bill Cosby: I feel as though this needs no explanation, but I will provide one anyhow. He is Bill Cosby...what more could you want in a judge! He would make funny noises after every audition and whenever something awkward would happen he could just whip out some jello and make the entire show better! Now, THAT reality show, I would watch!
So, some of these people are legitimately rumored to join Mariah at the judging table, and others are just some fun suggestions that the producers of American Idol should take into deep consideration! Either way, I know I will be on the edge of my seat waiting to see who will be the next judge on the show!