- Special Features
- Blogs & Columns
- Fun & Games
An art gallery in the Netherlands was broken into Tuesday. The thieves made off with seven works of art from such celebrated artists as Picasso and Monet.
The New York Times reported that the Kunsthal gallery was celebrating its 20th anniversary at the time of the break-in. It was also exhibiting a private collection from the Triton Foundation.
Dutch police reported that the break-in took place around 3 a.m. Authorities were notified when an alarm to a security agency went off. No witnesses have come forward.
"It's every museum director's worst nightmare," said Kunsthal director Emily Ansenk, according to USA Today.
The stolen art was presented to the public for the first time last week.
The chairman of the museum’s board, Willem van Hassel, announced the Kunsthal would close Tuesday.
“The volume of the theft suggests that whoever stole it owes somebody a lot of money and it’s got to be a major league villain,” said Charley Hill, a retired Scotland Yard art detective who is now a private investigator. “It was carefully thought out, cleverly conceived, and it was quickly executed, so that suggests professionals. This case is linked to major crime in Holland, and my best guess is that someone doesn’t have the cash to repay a loan.”