- Special Features
Blogs & Columns
- Fun & Games
With the president’s reelection on Tuesday evening, there is one thing we can all count on, four more years of fabulous fashions from the first lady. Although she’s always mixing up her designer styles, her choices are smart and right on trend. Here is a list of her top 10 best ensembles.
10. Mrs. Obama chose a cobalt blue tulle gown by Vera Wang for the Kennedy Center honoree reception in December 2011.
9. For the British State dinner at the White House in March 2012, she wore an off the shoulder, Marchesa gown in a darker shade of blue.
8. The first lady caused quite a stir when she recycled an old favorite Thom Browne gray dress with a black lace overlay for the final presidential debate in October.
7. Indian designer Naeem Khan dressed Mrs. Obama in a gold, strapless, paisley organza gown for a 2009 White House Correspondents’ Dinner honoring the Indian Prime Minister.
6. She stunned in a pink and blue-gray Tracy Reese printed frock for this year’s Democratic National Convention.
5. In June 2008, Mrs. Obama made a big statement with an-off-the-rack Donna Ricco dress for her appearance on ABCs "The View." She sent scores of fashion lovers scrambling to stores for the stylish black and white number, which was only $148.
4. The first lady wore a memorable white chiffon gown to the Inaugural Ball in 2009. It turned out to be a career launcher for the then unknown designer, Jason Wu and is now hanging in the Smithsonian as part of the First Ladies Gallery.
3. On inauguration day in 2009, she donned a sunny yellow sheath dress and coat combination by Cuban-born American designer Isabel Toledo. J. Crew green leather gloves completed her chic look.
2. For the Democratic National Convention in 2008, designer Maria Pinto created a very simple greenish-blue dress, which Mrs. Obama adorned with her own striking pendant.
1.On election night, the first lady proved once again that she knows how to shop her own closet. Mrs. Obama joined her husband President Barack Obama onstage in a red, silk, pintucked Michael Kors dress that she had worn on two other occasions -once for a White House office party in 2009, and again for a Medal of Honor presentation in 2010.