- Special Features
- Blogs & Columns
- Fun & Games
Happy election day! With the polls fully open and Americans casting their votes nationwide, we all sit back in anticipation of who our new president will be. But Hollywood has turned this historic scenario into a feature film time and time again. So as we wait for the real-life election to play out, let’s take a look back at 10 movies that have portrayed an election of some kind – presidential or not.
10. Napoleon Dynamite documents the journey of Napoleon teaming up with his pal Pedro to win over the school’s vote for class president, coining the phrase, “Vote for Pedro!”
9. Game Change was a true to life documentation of the 2008 presidential election between John McCain and Barack Obama, flawlessly portraying the role of Sarah Palin who was played by Julianne Moore.
8. Election tells the story of Reese Witherspoon’s character whose class president campaign is threatened to be sabotaged by the teacher she seduced and ultimately got fired.
7. All the King’s Men is an intriguing tale of events in which Willie Stark, played by Sean Penn, runs for governor with the mindset to win by whatever means necessary.
6. The Candidate portrays the journey of a politician who promises anything and everything just to win over the hearts of American voters.
5. All the President’s Men, based on a true story, follows the efforts of two journalists as they uncover the truth behind the Watergate scandal – one miraculously unbelievable event after another – and change the course of events for President Nixon, who was running for office at the time.
4. Swing Vote stars Kevin Costner, who brings the character of Bud Johnson to life as he determines the popular vote in New Mexico, thus deciding who wins presidential election.
3. The Manchurian Candidate is filled with evil political agendas and brainwashing, making this one of Meryl Streep’s most dramatic and mesmerizing roles to date.
2. The Campaign combines the comical masterminds of Will Ferrell and Zack Galifianakis, who play two candidates battling for a political win amidst scandals galore.
1. The Ides of March boasts two of the hottest actors in all of Hollywood, Ryan Gosling and George Clooney, who showcase intense, game-changing blackmail in order to win the campaign.