- Special Features
- Blogs & Columns
- Fun & Games
With the festivities of Halloween behind us, it’s now time to focus on the next of fall’s greatest holidays – Thanksgiving! The season of giving and reflection is upon us. So it only seems right that we pay homage to 10 of the best pop songs that have gotten us through the year. Whether it be the upbeat, makes-you-wanna-dance melody or the totally relatable, catchy lyrics, pop music has a way of making us all feel a little bit happier inside. Did your favorite tune make our list?
10. “Gangam Style” by Psy. Admit it. You love this song. Even if you have no idea what the Korean pop mastermind is singing, you can’t help but jump on your feet and dance around like a maniac when you hear the chorus come around. It’s an instant feel good song.
9. “Dance Again (feat. Pitbull)” by Jennifer Lopez. The former American Idol judge is on to something when she sings, “I wanna dance and love and dance, again.” I mean isn’t that what we all want? To dance all day, all night and have the love of those we care about most. I think so.
8. “Call Me Maybe” by Carly Rae Jepsen. This song quickly became the biggest song of 2012. And it’s not easy to pinpoint why, considering the lyrical content and background beat are far from complex. But perhaps it’s because the song has an effortless way of making you sing along and forget anything bad going on in your life for three whole minutes.
7. “Home” by Phillip Phillips. While this song is more folksy than pop, it makes the list for its inspiring and heartwarming lyrics, as well as the pure, raw talent of its singer. Not to mention, the American Idol champ is so adorable that it’d be a shame not to have him somewhere on the countdown.
6. “50 Ways to Say Goodbye” by Train. There is no other way to describe this song than 100 percent perfect. Great beat. Meaningful lyrics. Catchy chorus. Nothing else needs to be said.
5. “Lights” by Ellie Goulding. As one of the year’s most talented break out artists, Goulding knows what it takes to compose a truly original, chart-topping pop song. This song reminds us what pure pop music should be and gives a breath of fresh air to the genre, which has taken on an overly synthesized sound in recent years.
4. “Where Have You Been” by Rihanna. There’s something about RiRi’s badass nature and captivating personality that makes her music irresistible. While this song leans more towards an electro-pop sound, it’s easy to admit that you love dancing or singing along to the track. Furthermore, I find it nearly impossible not to belt out the chorus, “Where have you been all my life?”
3. “Somebody That I Used to Know (feat. Kimbra)” by Gotye. This up-and-coming artist managed to make one of the most listened to pop songs of 2012. The song can be described as an upbeat, ballad of sorts. Whatever you call it, there’s no denying that the tune is pure genius. You’ve got to have this on your iPod. No excuses.
2. “Locked Out of Heaven” by Bruno Mars. This is the ultimate pop/rock/dance song. It has an unbelievably powerful melody, one that you will find impossible not to fall in love with. Bruno’s sexy voice also lends a unique edge to the song that you won’t find anywhere else.
1. “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together” by Taylor Swift. Let’s face it. When you first heard this song, you were thinking, ‘Seriously, Taylor? What is this?’ But then it was stuck in your head and you kept listening on repeat, eventually turning it into one of your favorite songs of the year. Or maybe that was just me. Regardless, not only is “Never Ever” catchy and fun, it’s one of those harsh songs you can dedicate to your ex on those days you feel rather unforgiving.