- Special Features
- Blogs & Columns
- Fun & Games
Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton was hospitalized Sunday after doctors discovered a blood clot. Her spokesman said that it was found during a routine check up following the concussion she suffered earlier this month.
The 65-year-old is expected to stay at New York Presbyterian Hospital over the next two days to be monitored and treated with anti-coagulants, deputy secretary of state Philippe Reines stated, reports CNN. “Her doctors will continue to assess her condition, including other issues associated with her concussion. They will determine if any further action is required,” Reines explained.
NBC New York reports that Clinton had suffered a concussion when she was at home, recovering from a stomach virus, which caused severe dehydration. She was diagnosed with a concussion on Dec. 13 and had to cancel trips to North Africa and the Middle East.
She also has to cancel her scheduled appearance in Washington to testify on the Sept. 11 attack in Benghazi, Libya, which led to the deaths of the U.S. ambassador and three others. It was to follow a report that said failures at the State Department were to blame. Although Clinton did publicly take responsibility for it, the report didn’t find her at fault.
Reines said the blood clot was found last Thursday and the former First Lady will be back to work this week.
She will not be returning as Secretary of State during President Obama’s second term. He has nominated Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry to replace her.