- Special Features
Blogs & Columns
- Fun & Games
J.J. Abrams already took himself out of the running to direct the new Star Wars film, but in a new interview, Abrams explained the decision, saying that his loyalty to the Star Trek franchise meant that he couldn’t bring himself to work on another beloved sci-fi franchise.
Abrams told Empire magazine in its latest issue that there were early discussions with him about taking the Star Wars: Episode VII directing job, but he took himself out of the running. He was just too involved with Star Trek and is too big a Star Wars fan to get involved.
“There were the very early conversations and I quickly said that because of my loyalty to Star Trek, and also just being a fan, I wouldn't even want to be involved in the next version of those things,” he explained, according to ComingSoon.net. “I declined any involvement very early on. I'd rather be in the audience not knowing what was coming, rather than being involved in the minutiae of making them.”
Since there will likely be more Trek movies after Star Trek Into Darkness, there is a possibility that the franchises could go head-to-head at the box office. “I guess the franchises could go up against each other, but I'm not thinking that far ahead!” Abrams told Empire. “I'm a huge fan of Star Wars, Empire and Jedi, and the idea of the world continuing is exciting and will be amazing. Kathy Kennedy is a friend and there are no smarter producers. It's in great hands.”
Abrams made similar comments last month, adding that he is looking forward to the new Star Wars film.
Abrams, Quentin Tarantino, Steven Spielberg and Zack Snyder have all taken themselves out of the running for the Episode VII job.
Lucasfilm and Disney have only confirmed that Toy Story 3 writer Michael Arndt is writing the film, which is set to hit theaters in 2015.
Meanwhile, Trek fans will be treated to Into Darkness on May 17, 2013.