- Special Features
Blogs & Columns
- Fun & Games
Many classic and popular movies have come from the 80s. These movies are filled with a lot of cliché, yet memorable moments that can teach us important life lessons. Here are the top ten:
10. If you leave your kids home alone for an extended period of time, there is a good chance there will be a party at your house- Weird Science, Sixteen Candles, Risky Business
When the parents are away, the kids will play. It isn’t uncommon in 80s movies for a wild house party to take place when kids have the house to themselves. Kids should remember though, you usually will get caught.
9. Always be prepared for car trouble- Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, Risky Business, Adventures in Babysitting
80s movies taught us to always prepare for the worst when dealing with cars. If the car you are using, usually without permission, isn’t yours, you might accidentally push it out of a glass garage or have it wind up in Lake Michigan. You could just end up with a flat like in Adventures in Babysitting, which doesn’t seem like a big deal, but that could lead to a night involving car thieves, a shootout, a gang fight, and other dangerous situations.
8. If you want to learn basic Karate moves, wax your car, sand a deck, and paint a fence-Karate Kid
Next time you find yourself doing these daunting chores, remember you could be learning basic karate defense movements.
7. People in different cliques can have more things in common than it may seem- The Breakfast Club
All in Saturday detention, a brain, an athlete, a basket case, a princess and a criminal, find that they aren’t so different. In the end, they learn not only about each other, but more about themselves. Just because someone looks different or belongs to a different clique, doesn’t mean they haven’t been through the same things.
6. The ‘geek’ gets the girl - Can't Buy Me Love, Sixteen Candles, Say Anything, Revenge of the Nerds, Fast Time at Ridgemont High, Weird Science, ect.
A common theme in 80s movies is the geek getting girl that is ‘out of their league.’ These movies teach us that opposites attract and just because you are ‘geeky,’ doesn’t mean you don’t have a chance.
5. Don’t be in a rush to grow up - Big
As Josh Baskin learned, being a grown up isn’t as glamorous as it may seem. Enjoy your childhood while you can because once it is gone, you will miss it. So remember, if you come by a Zoltar Fortune Teller Machine, wish for something that isn’t life changing. Perhaps, a stick of gum.
4. If you mess with the bull you get the horns-The Breakfast Club
If you ask your principal if Barry Manilow knows he raided his closet, and he tells you this line, he means, if you do/say something stupid or dangerous, you can get hurt. This is a valuable life lesson to remember. Maybe it will save you from being given another Saturday detention.
3. Live in the present- Ferris Bueller
Ferris Bueller reminds us that “Life moves pretty fast sometimes. If you don’t stop to look around once in a while, you might miss it.” Every now and then, we need to stop focusing on the past and the future and just live in the moment.
2. If you find a way to time travel to the past, make sure your mother doesn’t fall in love with you- Back to the Future
If you stumble across a 1981 DeLorean with a flux capacitor, or any other fancy time machine device, and you find yourself in the past, avoid running into your mom or any other relative. As we learned from Marty McFly, they could fall in love with you and end up jeopardizing your existence in the future.
1. Life is always better with a dance number - Risky Business, The Breakfast Club, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, Pretty In Pink, Beetlejuice, Coming to America, Dirty Dancing, Footloose, ect.
In almost every 80s movie, there is a musical dance number. Many are impromptu, and some movies’ plots revolve around dancing. Whether the characters are dancing around school, trying to impress a girl, or dancing around in a big shirt and underwear, these moments make things more fun and help us to remember sometimes, you just have to dance.