- Special Features
Blogs & Columns
- Fun & Games
We all know Adele killed it at the Golden Globes on Sunday night, during which she won Best Original Song for “Skyfall.”
Taylor Swift didn’t look happy about it, either. Here are some more wonderful reasons to love the British pop-soul singer as the new year gets underway.
1. Her smash sophomore album 21 is the first in the new decade to go diamond (shipping 10 million copies) in the U.S., and fourth in the new millennium after N*Sync’s 2000 album No Strings Attached, Linkin Park’s 2000 Hybrid Theory and Usher’s 2004 Confessions. Note that she’s the only woman in that group. It took 93 weeks, the third-fastest.
2. She tweets things at awards shows like last night such as this, where she felt starstruck:
I just met Daniel fucking Day Lewis!!!— Adele (@OfficialAdele)January 14, 2013
And this, where she felt important:
Oh my god I feel like Meryl Streep!! Thank youx— Adele (@OfficialAdele) January 10, 2013
3. She once went into a bar drunk and punched her ex-boyfriend after finding out he was cheating on her, and got thrown out on the street. Then she wrote a song about it (“Chasing Pavements”) and has been winning Grammys (and our hearts) ever since. 21 won Adele all six 2012 categories. Let’s be real, awards love her. They fly at her like in "The Birds" when the seagulls attack Tippi Hedren's phone booth.
4. On that note, Adele can sing live. See this live video and this one of her No. 1 “Set Fire to the Rain,” from her 2011 show at the Royal Albert Hall.
5. And listen/watch this little a capella number she does for Anderson Cooper. The ears are pleased, especially when she’s just talking and messing with the Silver Fox.
6. She says such refreshing gems like this in 2011’s Rolling Stone about her image and music (even though it shouldn’t be refreshing, really): “I love seeing Lady Gaga’s boobs and bum. I love seeing Katy Perry’s boobs and bum. Love it. But that’s not what my music is about. I don’t make music for eyes. I make music for ears.”
7. She always wears her hair like a Mod bau5. It’s shallow, but it’s glorious. For example:
9. And as if the singer weren’t more awesome and more British, Adele secretly wrote and recorded the James Bond theme song, “Skyfall” — for which, unsurprisingly, she won more awards. Take a listen for those lush string swells and piercing wails -- both Adele’s signature sounds.
And then she high-fived Daniel Craig when she won.
10. And even though she’s spent the last year and a half in relative seclusion—bordering on Jodie Foster-level—after having had minor throat surgery in November 2011 and then her anon baby last October, we still love her, as long as she keeps making beautiful music like this in the year still to come. Good luck at the Oscars, Adele!
Photos courtesy of INFDaily.com.