|

Steven Spielberg's ‘Robopocalypse’ indefinitely on hold, film was to star Anne Hathaway & Chris Hemsworth

By Daniel S Levine,

Director Steven Spielberg is known for putting projects on hold to make sure he gets them right the first time, which is why it took this year’s Lincoln so long to reach the screen. He has decided to do that again with Robopocalypse, his sci-fi project based on Daniel H. Wilson’s 2011 novel.

Spielberg spokesman Marvin Levy told The Hollywood Reporter on Wednesday that the project has been put on hold indefinitely. The project is “too important and the script is not ready, and it's too expensive to produce. It's back to the drawing board to see what is possible,” Levy said.

The project already had several stars attached, including Les Miserables actress Anne Hathaway and Thor’s Chris Hemsworth.

It was going to be co-financed by DreamWorks and Fox, making it Spielberg’s first project with Fox since Minority Report. In 2010, DreamWorks announced that it would be Spielberg’s next film following War Horse and production was slated to start this month.

Drew Goddard penned the script and Tom Rothman was set to produce. This would have been Rothman’s first project since he left Fox Filmed Entertainment. It was expected to have a $100 million-plus budget.

Spielberg’s Lincoln has earned widespread critical praise and it is not clear what his next project could be. Last year, there were reports that he was nearing a deal to direct a Moses epic at Warner Bros.

 
 

Join Our Newsletter

Popular Threads