- Special Features
- Blogs & Columns
- Fun & Games
Contrary to popular belief, Valentine's Day doesn't have to be expensive. In fact, there are 10 easy ways to show your sweetie how much you love them without draining your account. Besides, it's the thought that counts!
1. Scrap Books : People say, "A picture says a thousand words." Though you could pick out a thoughtful photo and place it in a frame. This frame only holds one moment. If you have been with your loved one for two years or more, a scrap-book can be a thoughtful cost-effective gift. For one, the pictures will be easy to obtain. You have been documenting your relationship through photographs for a long time. Plus, it will be nice for you to see how far your relationship has come. Scrap books always go over well, because it is a gift that takes time and thought to finish.
2. Sound Track of Your Love : Like poems, music can be used to express how people feel about one another. Also, it can show that you pay attention to the little things that makes your loved one special. Today, it is difficult to find a cd that describes how you feel about your loved on in a unique way. The songs you put on the track do not have to be typical love songs. You can add songs that would only mean something to your lover. After you've burned your disk, create a nice album cover for your CD. If you're in a creative mood, you can create volumes. This type of gift can not be given alone. Pairing it with flowers, chocolate, stuffed animal, and a card will make a complete package.
3. Chocolate : Edible gifts are a big part of Valentine's day. In fact, it can be over priced and ridiculous. Rather than spend a lot of money on over priced candy, make your own! It isn't hard and it doesn't have to be one hundred percent chocolate. You can dip Oreos and Rice Krispies into chocolate. Then add decorative sprinkles to make them scream valentine's day. The last step is putting them in a decorative container and you have a hand-made delicious gift.
4. Flowers : Even if your love doesn't have a favorite flower, it doesn't mean they wouldn't love to receive a bouquet or vase of flowers. Roses have become the flower of love, but they don't have to be.
5. Go on a Romantic Date...at Home : Hosting a dinner and a movie at home can be an excellent romantic date.
6. Create a Scavanger Hunt : Scavenger Hunts can be fun and flirty. No one can resist answering the clues and finishing the hunt. You can have it anywhere. A warm place is key. You don't want your significant other freezing trying to solve the hunt.
7. Use Your Talent : If you are good at something, use it to make a thoughtful gift for your significant other. People with artistic ability should utilize their craft to make something thoughtful and unexpected. This can be done through art, food, writing, and so on.
8. Spend the Day Together Doing Something You Love : Time can be a precious gift. As you get older and responsibilities pile on top of each other, it can be difficult to spend quality time together. Yes, you can shower your loved one with gifts, but materialistic things lose their significance over time. Spending time together and creating new memories can mean more than a trinket.
9. Do Something Different for a Change : It is easy to fall into a Valentine's day rut. The more years your together, the hard it is to avoid coasting into a routine. If you feel like your romance has hit a rut, you need to pull out all the stops. Create a romantic evening full of candles, rose petals, and his/her favorite foods. You can start stocking up on these things ahead of time and they'll be surprised to see how much time and effort you put into the day.
10. Purchase a Mystery Gift : This last gift is something only you would know. This is an item that would only mean something to your significant other. If you have enough for it, you can get them something they would expect to get on their birthday or Christmas.
Valentine's Day has turned into a multi-million dollar holiday, but that doesn't mean you have to spend a lot of money to show the people you love how much you care.