- Special Features
Blogs & Columns
- Fun & Games
The Super Bowl spot for Paramount’s Star Trek Into Darkness squeezed in some new scenes in 30 seconds, but a recent interview with star Benedict Cumberbatch reveals some newer insight into his villain role. Meanwhile, the studio has revealed that the film will come out two days earlier than planned.
Cumberbatch has referred to his character as John Harrison in interviews and told MTV News that he actually looked at terrorism as an inspiration for the character. Makes sense, since his character is a terrorist.
“[Look at] real social history and present history, everything that's going on: uprisings, people who are trying to spread democracy or fight their cause, not necessarily through political means ... he is a terrorist, and sadly, that's part of the fabric of our modern world,” Cumberbatch told MTV late last year. “You don't need to look far to research that one.”
He looked at “certain terrorist groups in the past” to understand how they worked. “It was important to me to ground him in a reality that's based more on his story than, say, a parallel in the real world.”
Chris Pine (Captain Kirk) also spoke with USA Today and he’s already looking to star in a third film. He hopes that J.J. Abrams can still make it, even if he’s busy with Star Wars: Episode VII.
“The only way I'll be disappointed is if he doesn't direct our third movie,” Pine said. "I think if that turns out to be the case we'll have to kidnap him and hold him hostage until he agrees to do a third.”
Paramount was also busy teasing fans with a new Into Darkness app, which revealed that the film will hit theaters on May 15 at 8 p.m. and tickets are already available, notes CinemaBlend. The film was originally scheduled for two days later on May 17.
Here’s the Super Bowl spot: