- Special Features
- Blogs & Columns
- Fun & Games
Shaffer "Ne-YO" is a talented singer, dancer, songwriter, record producer,and an upcoming actor. Fans and critics fell in love with "the Grammy award winning gentlemen" when he released his debut album, In My Own Words in 2006. He is known for some of his biggest hits and last but not least his songwriting. Ne-Yo is trained to be the next R.Kelly in terms of songwriting. He has written songs for Mary J. Blige, Enrique Iglesias, Jennifer Hudson, Mariah Carey, Bridget Kelly, Keri Hilson, and many more. He also Mario top hit, "Let Me Love You," and one of Beyonce's best single, "Irreplaceable."
But outside, of singing, recording, and writing he is a businessman. He is currently the Senior Vice President of A&R of Motown records. Ne-Yo also started his own production company, Compound Entertainment,received an endorsement deal with Malibu Red, and has his own recording studio, Carrington Studios in Atlanta, Georgia. Ne-yo released his latest album, R.E.D (Realizing Every Dream) . Since Ne-Yo is so brilliant, suave, and swag, there are songs on the top 10 list that exemplifies his growth as a recording artist.
Here's the top 10 songs from Ne-YO!
10."Sexy Love," This is song from his debut album, In My Own Words . It's the fourth single off the album. The song was number 7 on the Billboard charts. The overall concept behind the song is man telling his girlfriend how much he loves her and mesmerized about her overall being. Ne-Yo tells his girlfriend her love is so addictive and he fantasizes about it constantly. "Sexy Love" is a special nickname for his significant other.
9. "When You're Mad," This is song is also from his debut album. It was the third single and it was number five on the R&B charts. The song is about a man enjoying his woman's annoyed face when she's mad at him. He may be doing wrong at the time but when she gets mad, it's sexy to him. Trust me when this song came out in '06, men were using their line to keep their women quiet or make up after a headed argument.
8." Champagne Life" "Champagne Life," is from Ne-Yo's fourth album, Libra Scale . People were playing this song in the clubs because it's an upbeat song. The song is about enjoying life and live life to the fullest. "Champagne Life" is a figure of speech for having a good time and live for the moment. This song applies to you if you're working hard, feeling comfortable in your own skin, and omit negativity from your life as much as possible.
7. "Let Me Love You (Until you Learn to Love Yourself)" Ne-Yo released the single from his current album, R.E.D (Realizing Every Dream) on Motown Records. Critics love the song because it spreads a message on self-worth and self-lover pertaining to women being intimate with a man. Ne-Yo stresses to his women let me be there for you and love you since that's what I'm supposed to do as your man.
6. "Do You" The song is from Ne-Yo second album, Because of You . The song was number three on Billboard Top R&B/Hip-Hop charts. In the song, Ne-Yo wants to know if his ex-girlfriend thinks about him even though she's in a new relationship. He asks himself this question because he knows the relationship ended. He blames himself on the relationship end result because he said, 'I know what we had is dead and gone. Too many times I made you cry." He also collaborated with the Queen of Hip-Hop Soul, Mary J. Blige on the "Do You" Remix.
5."Because of You" The lead single of of Ne-Yo's second album, Because of You . It was his second number one single since "So Sick." During the time, Ne-Yo received a Grammy award for his second album in 2007. The song's concept is similar to second love but with a little twist. He explains how it's so hard sometimes to be with one woman when there's so much lust inside of you. It's hard because women are throwing themselves at you.
4. "Mad" "Mad" is a song Ne-Yo wrote from his second album, Because of You . The song is about the high and lows of being in a relationship. Sometimes the couple are mad each other for a number of reasons: lack of support, don't spend a lot of time with each other, a partner may feel insecure, or infidelity. But, Ne-Yo tells his woman we may fight, yell ,scream, or stop speaking to each other at this present time, but I don't want to go to bed mad at you. And he don't want his woman to be mad at him especially if they can work out their problems.
3."Closer" This single made Ne-Yo a pop star as well. We all Ne-Yo can write some urbanized songs but he wanted his songs to blend with other musical genres. The single is considered to be a dance/pop song The song is about Ne-Yo's ongoing attraction for a woman he desires. And he wants his future leading lady to come closer to him.
2. Miss Independent- This song is from his third album, Year of the Gentlemen . The song received two Grammy awards, Best R&B Song and Best Male R&B Vocal Performance. The song is about Ne-Yo patronizing women who are able to take care of themselves and don't need the opposite sex to support them. He said in the song, "She's got her own thing, that's why I love her, Miss Independent." Ne-Yo released a remix version of the song as well. The song is called, "She Got Her Own," featuring Jamie Foxx and Fabolous.
1. "So Sick" The song was Ne-Yo's first number one single in the US and UK. It was released off his debut album. It was a huge hit but it was a difficult time for the singer. Ne-Yo went through a bad breakup with his ex-girlfriend which caused controversy. He found out his ex-girlfriend child was not his which crushed Ne-Yo. But with pain, comes strength and endurance. He poured his heart and soul on this record. It describes the pain of a slow burn after a break up and how it's time to let go of the past. It may be hard to move on from someone who hurt you but it just has to be done.