- Special Features
- Blogs & Columns
- Fun & Games
It’s with sad news that television icon Valerie Harper announced that she has terminal brain cancer. It’s in these sad times, that’s only appropriate to remember the good ol’ times that Harper has shared with millions of fans and viewers. So let’s look back on the active life that Harper created for herself. I have compiled a list of the top ten things about Valerie Harper including her television and film roles.
10. As a Jersey girl myself, it’s nice to see a familiar place. Harper attended Lincoln High School in Jersey City.
9. Harper began her career as a dancer/chorus girl on Broadway in the musical Li'l Abner. Her Broadway shows included Wildcat, in which she performed with Lucille Ball.
8. She co-starred from 1970–1974 as Rhoda in The Mary Tyler Moore Show and even starred in the spin-off series, Rhoda.
7. She has won four Emmys and a Golden Globe for her character Rhoda on The Mary Tyler Moore Show.
6. She serves on the Hollywood Board of Directors of the Screen Actors Guild.
5. Harper has appeared and has had roles in 11 films.
4. Harper has also appeared in at least 50 television shows.
3. Her family moved every two years while she was growing up to accommodate her father’s job.
2. She is not only an actress, mother and daughter, but also a screenwriter. She co-wrote an episode of Love, American Style.
1. In the 1970s and 1980s, Harper was involved in the Women's Liberation Movement and was an advocate of the Equal Rights Amendment.
She has done so much in her career and at this time, we wish her the best and our prayers are with her and her family.