- Special Features
Blogs & Columns
- Fun & Games
It was recently reported that although Breaking Bad is scheduled to air the final season this summer, AMC has been talking about creating a spin-off surrounding Bob Odenkirk’s character, Saul Goodman.
In the show, Odenkirk plays an unctuous lawyer who, despite making Walt uncomfortable initially, becomes an integral part in the crystal meth distribution process. With the tagline, “Better call Saul!” Saul frequently represents small-time drug busts, fraudulent insurance claims, fat people who blame their obesity on fast food, or whatever frivolous lawless a client wants to pursue.
While he often appears overbearing, he is surprisingly adept at finding legal loopholes and settling lawsuits profitably for his clients (mostly because he is so familiar with the criminal trade itself). In contrast to Gus’ unyielding demeanor, Saul provides the show with his own brand of sardonic humor (producers have noted that the new spin-off would be a comedy).
Because of the announcement, we have compiled the top Saul Goodman moments.
Walter H. White: What are you offering me?
Saul Goodman: What did Tom Hagen do for Vito Corleone?
Walter H. White: I'm no Vito Corleone.
Saul Goodman: No Shit! Right now you're Fredo!
9. [Talking to Skyler after Walt introduced his wife to Saul] Walter never told me how lucky he was. Clearly his taste in women is the same as his taste in lawyers : only the very best... with just a right amount of dirty!
8. If you're committed enough, you can make any story work. I once told a woman I was Kevin Costner, and it worked because I believed it.
Walter White: How did everything get so screwed up?
Saul Goodman: Yeah, you do seem to have a little "shit creek" action going.
Saul Goodman: You know, FYI, you can buy a paddle.
6. Did you not plan for this contingency? I mean the Starship Enterprise had a self-destruct button. I'm just saying.
5. As to your dead guy, occupational hazard. Drug dealer getting shot? I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say it's been known to happen.
4. All right, $16,000 laundered at 75 cents on the dollar, minus my fee, which is 17%, comes out to $9,960. Congratulations, you've just left your family a second hand Subaru.
3. Saul Goodman: Mayhew. Is that Irish or English?
Walter White: Irish.
Saul Goodman: Faith and begorrah! A fellow potato eater! My real name's McGill. The Jew thing I just do for the homeboys. They all want a pipe-hitting member of the tribe, so to speak.
2. [To a client who has been arrested] I'm gonna get you a second phone call, OK? You're gonna call your mommy or your daddy or your parish priest or your boy scout leader, and they're gonna deliver me a check for $4650.00. I'm gonna write that down on the back of my business card. Four, Six, Five, Zero, OK? And I need that in a cashiers check or a money order, doesn't matter. Actually, ah, I want it in a money order and ah, make it out to "Ice Station Zebra Associates." That's my loan out. It's totally legit... its done just for tax purposes. After that we can discuss Visa or Mastercard, but definitely not American Express, so don't even ask, alright? Any questions?
1. Better call Saul!