- Special Features
Blogs & Columns
- Fun & Games
While there are hundreds and hundreds of apps out there, messaging apps are among the most popular. I couldn't pick just one, so here are my top 5 messaging apps.
1. GroupMe. GroupMe is awesome for many reasons. You can create a group and add as many people as you want, name that group, add photos, etc. One cool new feature is that you can split costs through GroupMe. I have not used it, but it seems to work a lot like Venmo. However, my favorite thing about this app is that the messages can come through text messages. That way, you don't have to open up the app every time to chat. You can also turn the notifications off. The app makes my top 5 list because it is so convenient and versatile.
2. WhatsApp. An app that makes text messaging free obviously makes my top 5 list. While it costs $.99, the app is consistently popular and definitely makes up for the cost. The app is like iMessage for iPhone users, except you can talk for free over WiFi to any other person with the app. You can also set statuses, make a favorites list, and "broadcast" a message to several users.
3. Viber. Much like WhatsApp, Viber helps you keep costs down. This app allows you to call any other app user for free. The app is pretty straightforward and so simple to use. You can also send messages, pictures, and videos through the app. Viber allows you to call around the world for free. Why wouldn't it be a top messaging app?
4. Snapchat. I think it is safe to say that Snapchat is one of the most popular apps right now. If you don't know what Snapchat is, it is an app where you can send pictures and videos to your "friends." The catch? The images and videos are only available for a couple seconds. You can add messages or sketch on your Snapchat. Even though these "secret" photos and videos have leaked, Snapchat is still a must-have.
5. Kik. This free messenger app is similar to WhatsApp in that it allows you to text for free. You can share pictures, voice messages, stickers, and group chat. This app has it all and is a great app to have when traveling overseas.