- Special Features
Blogs & Columns
- Fun & Games
A few days ago, news broke that Ben Affleck would join Henry Cavill in the upcoming Man of Steel sequel, playing the caped crusader Batman. Affleck will follow in the footsteps of esteemed Batman actors George Clooney, Michael Keaton, and Christian Bale, who portrayed the superhero in the most recent trilogy based on the comic book series.
Though Affleck has had a successful career, many fans of the franchise, celebrities included, have reacted negatively to the (un)surprising casting decision. Many base their harsh reaction to Affleck’s new role on his past box office bombs, including the romantic comedy Gigli and the big screen adaptation of Daredevil. Others joke that they could have brought more life to the role, inspiring the trending hashtag #BetterBatmanThanBenAffleck.
Whatever the reason for celebrity and fan mistrust of the Oscar-winner in the role, more celebrities have voiced their opinion via Twitter on the casting news.
Here are 10 more celebrity reactions to Ben Affleck as the new Batman:
10. Judd Apatow lamented that he was not considered for the role:
— Judd Apatow (@JuddApatow) August 24, 2013
9. Scottish comedian Frankie Boyle said the decision affected his enthusiasm about going to the movies (and being a father):
As a dad, I have to go to all the big superhero movies. Ben Affleck's casting has actually made me love my children less.
— Frankie Boyle (@frankieboyle) August 23, 2013
8. Daily Show head writer Tim Carvell mused that Affleck’s lackluster performances have not been forgotten:
Spend ten years working your way back into everyone's good graces. Win an Oscar. Then you get cast as Batman, and BAM! You're Gigli again.
— Tim Carvell (@timcarvell) August 23, 2013
7. Comic book writer and artist Brian Michael Bendis shared what he was most looking forward to of Affleck in the role:
I just made some calls around Hollywood and I am happy to report that Ben Affleck will be keeping the Argo beard when he plays Batman
— BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS (@BRIANMBENDIS) August 23, 2013
6. Star Trek actor Wil Wheaton called to attention the actor’s previous upsets:
Really looking forward to seeing Affleck bring the depth and gravitas to Batman that he brought to Daredevil and Gigli.
— Wil Wheaton (@wilw) August 23, 2013
5. Fox News commentator Andy Levy smugly mentioned the lack of diversity in the role:
can’t believe they cast a rich white guy to play batman
— Andy Levy (@andylevy) August 23, 2013
4. British rap duo Rizzle Kicks joined in the hashtag fun, posting a photo of themselves dressed as Batman and Robin:
— Rizzle Kicks (@RizzleKicks) August 23, 2013
3. Ellen DeGeneres voiced support for the actor and aspirations to join the franchise herself:
.@BenAffleck is gonna make a great Batman. And I'm gonna make a great Cat Woman! I'm sure they're about to call.
— Ellen DeGeneres (@TheEllenShow) August 23, 2013
2. Haily Baldwin shared her dream dark knight:
Obviously I would prefer Ryan Gosling as Batman but I think Ben Affleck will do a great job! Stop being so mean #IheartAffleck
— Hailey Baldwin (@haileybaldwin) August 24, 2013
1. Buffy the Vampire Slayer and The Avengers writer and director Joss Whedon stood in the minority:
Affleck'll crush it. He's got the chops, he's got the chin -- just needs the material. Affleck & Cavill toe to toe -- I'm in.
— Joss Whedon (@josswhedon) August 24, 2013