- Special Features
Blogs & Columns
- Fun & Games
Award shows get some of the highest ratings in television, and, with moments like the ones below, it’s no surprise. Since MTV’s Video Music Awards are coming up in just one week, here is a look at some of the craziest, most interesting, weirdest or just plain best moments from the show over the past years. Who knows what will be added come Sunday?
10. Sacha Baron Cohen flying over the crowd promoting Bruno in 2009, his butt lands in Eminem’s face… Eminem gets mad and leaves. While it was later announced that the whole thing was planned, it was still fun watching and wondering if it was a real awkward moment before we knew the truth.
Photo Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.
9. Gaga’s performance of "Paparrazzi" at the 2009 VMAs. So dramatic, unexpected and such a good performance. If you forgot about the bloody dance onstage… check out the video. Leave it to Gaga to make a statement.
8.Kanye West coming onstage while Taylor Swift accepts an award to interrupt and announce that Beyonce had the best video of “all time.” And hence making himself look like the villain and T. Swift the eternal damsel in distress (Also in 2009… What a year).
7. Beyonce saving the day, and letting Taylor come give her acceptance speech when Bey won an award after the big bad Kanye incident. Does she do anything wrong, ever? No.
8. Rage Against the Machine bassist, Tim Commerford climbing on the set and refusing to leave. Kanye wasn’t the first interrupter, Commerford came ontage while Limp Bizkit was accepting an award to pull this stunt in 2000, according to
6. Britney and Madonna kissing onstage. Two girls? Kissing? What? (Remember, this was 2003). Note: Christina Aguilera was also onstage, and kissed Madonna, but everyone just seemed to pay attention to MDNA & Brit.
5. Pretty much anything Lady Gaga wears. .
From the meat dress, to the feather headpiece, Mother Monster never fails to keep us entertained.
4. P!nk doing acrobatics.
Always. She is always in the sky. Luckily, she is the most fit person on the entire earth, and watching her sing live while hanging onto ribbons and ropes never gets old.
2. Lil Kim wearing this in 1999.
1. Britney Spears dancing with a snake.
Brit danced with a giant yellow python during “I’m a Slave 4 U” at the 2001 awards. While she may have been terrified of the reptile, the performance has gone down as a classic.
top image: MTV Press