- Special Features
Blogs & Columns
- Fun & Games
After all the hullabaloo, it turns out that neither project about Hillary Clinton may get made. CNN Films has just announced the cancellation of its documentary on the former Secretary of State, weeks after NBC told everyone to calm down because its project is only in development.
On Monday morning, Charles Ferguson, the director of the Wall Street documentary Inside Job, wrote an op-ed for The Huffington Post, detailing the troubles he has faced since the day he signed on to do CNN’s documentary. He wrote that the day after he agreed, he started receiving phone calls from the Clinton team, even before the plans to make the film went public. Then, he started hearing about objections from both sides of the aisle and as he learned more about the Clintons, he began to understand why they wouldn’t want him to make a documentary about her.
CNN later made it official, confirming that the documentary will not happen. "Charles Ferguson has informed us that he is not moving forward with his documentary about Hillary Clinton," CNN Worldwide spokesperson Allison Gollust told Politico. "Charles is an Academy Award winning director who CNN Films was excited to be working with, but we understand and respect his decision."
Gollust added that they will not seek another director to replace him and the project is officially cancelled.
While the CNN documentary is definitely not happening, it is still possible that NBC’s miniseires with Diane Lane may come to fruition, but that’s looking unlikely as well. NBC Entertainment Chairman Bob Greenblatt said last month that it is only in the development stage. “It is ‘in development,' the first stage of any television series or movie, many of which never go to production,” he said.
Those comments came after Fox TV Studios decided not to produce it. NBC’s Universal Television is also not going to produce it.
image: Wikimedia Commons