- Special Features
Blogs & Columns
- Fun & Games
A fire broke out in a Columbus, Georgia home on Thursday that had six adults and two children inside, along with one man's beloved beer.
The eight people in the house were watching television together when they saw smoke begin to pour into the living room, reports the Herald Sun. Once the children and all six adults had made it out of the house safely, one of the adults, Walter Serpit, suddenly turned back around and re-entered the burning home.
He told the others that he had left something inside.
"I told them to get the kids out and everything, and me myself, being an alcoholic, I was trying to get my beer out," Serpit, who walks with a cane, told local station WTVM.
A news video from WTVM showed Serpit’s cans of Bud Light lying in the grass next to him as he was interviewed.
"I went back into the house like a dummy and the door shut on me because this back draft was about to kill me," he continued.
Serpin made it out of the house unburned and unscathed, beer in hand, even as the fire blazed on. Firefighters arrived soon after and put out the fire, but Serpin was just glad to have saved his beer.
The family is currently being aided by the American Red Cross. The homeowners have reportedly said that the new water heater they had recently installed is the cause of the blaze.
Image courtesy of WTVM News video.