- Special Features
Blogs & Columns
- Fun & Games
Coffee skeptics everywhere will try to convince you that coffee will dry out your skin, lower your life expectancy and condemn you to all kinds of terrible fates. Coffee addicts, such as myself, stand up to these cynics with facts. Coffee can be wonderful for you - sleeplessness aside! Coffee is one of the richest sources of antioxidants you will find in foods.
TOP TEN REASONS TO LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR COFFEE RUN
10. Caffeine makes your exercise regimen more effective. Studies have shown that it increases your stamina while exercising AND helps reduce post-workout muscle pains. It allows carbohydrates to use glycogens, key compound in muscle building, more effectively.
9. Caffeine helps your memory. Researchers in Japan discovered that hippocampus brain cells are stimulated by caffeine, which in turn improves cell signal flow, and thus memory. Caffeine is a key drug in preventing Alzheimer’s Disease.
8. A cup of coffee can reduce your risk of diabetes. Those of you who are sugar lovers can rest assured that if you drink black coffee (or sugar free coffee) daily that your risk of diabetes will be cut nearly in half. Scientists are unaware of why this phenomenon occurs, but alas, it does!
7. A cup of coffee daily will reduce your risk of heart disease AND brain cancer. Studies at Harvard University demonstrate that individuals who consumed at least one cup of coffee a day had a 53 percent lower chance of developing heart disease and brain cancer.
6. Caffeine is beneficial in treating asthma. Studies have shown that caffeine can prevent asthma as well as Parkinson's disease.
5. Caffeine helps prevent cavities. It is very antibacterial and anti-adhesive, which helps reduce colonization of cavity-causing mutagens.
4. Caffeine intake is proven to alleviate headaches. Nerve cells in the brain think caffeine is an adenosine, and as a result, caffeine binds to all the cell’s receptors, causing the blood vessels in the brain to constrict, ergo no more headache.
3. Caffeine can eliminate cancerous cells. Though the study is in its earliest stages, researchers at Rutgers University suggested that a combination of regular exercise routine and a daily dosage of caffeine destroyed precancerous cells.
2. Caffeine can mitigate depression and anxiety. This is due to increased levels of dopamine in the brain.
1. Caffeine keeps you awake. Ah yes, the reason we all know and love. We need to be awake to see life’s beauties!
image: Wikimedia Commons