- Special Features
Blogs & Columns
- Fun & Games
Disney chief financial officer Jay Rasulo touched on the studio’s future plans with Star Wars and Lucasfilm during a New York conference on Tuesday. Rasulo, who previously said that the Star Wars spin-offs may be origin films, said today that the studio will follow its Marvel strategy with Star Wars. After all, if it’s not broken, don’t fix it.
Rasulo said that Disney is not done buying up properties, although don’t expect its next acquisition to be on the scale of Marvel, Lucasfilm or Pixar. “It’s safe to say you’ll continue to see us doing acquisitions in the future,” Rasulo said at the UBS Global Media and Communications Conference, reports TheWrap.
Lucasfilm is being treated as a major purchase on the level of Marvel, so expect Star Wars and the just-acquired Indiana Jones franchises to have a bigger presence at the theme parks.
“You can substitute the word Marvel for LucasFilm,” Rasulo said. The studio has already said that it will release a Star Wars movie every year starting in 2015, a strategy that has paid off for the Marvel franchise. At first, solo movies set up The Avengers, which then launched even more successful solo movies before the Avengers sequel.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, Rasulo also promised investors that there will be more Star Wars product out by December 2015, when the new movie comes out. He is confident that the Marvel strategies will work for the Lucasfilm properties as well.
Star Wars: Episode VII hits theaters on Dec. 18, 2015.
image: Star Wars Facebook page