- Special Features
Blogs & Columns
- Fun & Games
George Zimmerman, the man who was acquitted in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin, will not be charged for an alleged domestic abuse incident with his girlfriend Samantha Scheibe in Florida last month. Prosecutors decided not to charge him after Scheibe recanted.
Zimmerman was arrested on Nov. 18 after Scheibe called 911 and claimed that he pointed a shotgun at her and began destroying things in her house. He also called 911 and claimed that she had “gone crazy on me” and she began destroying his belongings.
However, on Monday, it was reported that Scheibe had signed an affidavit saying that Zimmerman never pointed a gun at her. She now wanted the charges against him to be dropped. “I am not afraid of George in any manner and I want to be with him,” she said.
So, with that in mind, the State Attorney’s Office said Wednesday that they have dropped all charges against Zimmerman related to the case, reports MSNBC.
“[U]pon reviewing the recent affidavit of the Ms. Scheibe and taking into account the conflicting statements about what occurred, the failure to cooperate with the ongoing investigation, and a lack of any other corroborating evidence or witnesses, there is no reasonable likelihood of successful prosecution,” State Attorney Phil Archer said.
The arrest had been the latest legal problem for Zimmerman after he was acquitted in the shooting death of Martin, a 17-year-old he claimed attacked him. Since then, he has been pulled over for speeding several times and his estranged wife filed for divorce.