- Special Features
Blogs & Columns
- Fun & Games
Simon Cowell is sure that Fox will renew the U.S. edition of his singing competition The X Factor, despite the show’s terrible ratings. He also said that he may come back to the show with a different role.
“The show will be back next season,” Cowell said during a conference call Monday, reports Deadline. Cowell was speaking with reporters to promote the show’s season finale, but wound up talking about the show’s future.
He said that he “was not necessarily saying” that he wouldn't be a judge on the show, but hinted at having a “different kind of role.” There have been rumors that he might also be returning to the U.K. version of The X Factor.
X Factor’s ratings have been worse for season three than for season two, which in turn had dropped from season one despite having Britney Spears. Still, last month, Entertainment Weekly reported that Cowell and Fox were in talks for a fourth season, although it would undergo some changes.
The show may be cut to just two hours a week instead of three. Cowell did say he might be open to that idea. ABC did the same thing this season with Dancing with the Stars, which has also been struggling recently.
“The show started off okay,” Cowell said Monday about season three, reports EW. “I thought the was four-chair section was terrific. I thought the early live shows were okay. And the last two weeks have been amazing.”
The X Factor's third season finishes Wednesday and Thursday.