- Special Features
Blogs & Columns
- Fun & Games
After the second blast in Volgograd on Monday, Russian President Vladmir Putin has said they will put in tighter security before the Winter Olympics.
A report from Reuters explains that the blast happened on a blue and white trolleybus. Bodies were thrown across the street, and at least 10 people were reported dead and many others were critically injured.
According to The New York Times, Vladmir I. Markin, a spokesman for the main national criminal investigation agency in Russia said on the agency’s website, “Most likely, the victims could have been much higher if the so-called protective system had not stopped the suicide bomber from getting through the metal detectors into the waiting room, where there were passengers.”
As this is the second bomber to threaten citizens in Russia in the past week, the president has ordered additional measures to secure the Olympic Games. Putin, who has been in power since 2000, has previously dismissed threats from Chechen militant groups.
Volgograd, formerly known as Stalingrad, is 400 miles northeast of Sochi, where the Winter Olympics are going to be held. The Winter Olympics are scheduled to begin on Feb. 7.
Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.