- Special Features
Blogs & Columns
- Fun & Games
Finley Boyle, a 3-year-old Hawaiian girl, was left brain dead after a root canal on December 3. On Friday, Jan. 3, after doctors announced that the child was in a vegetative state, the parents made the decision to pull feeding tubes. Finley died around 8:47 p.m. that evening.
According to The New York Daily News, Ashley and Evan Boyle, Finley’s mother and father, have filed a lawsuit against the dentist, Lily Geyer.
Ashley, the girl’s mother, a registered nurse, said that the death of her child could have been prevented if the right precautions were taken. The parents were told that Finley had 10 cavities and was in need of four root canals. The child was given high doses of medication on Dec. 3 in order to do the procedure.
The Huffington Post called the mixture of medications "highly potent." Twenty-six minutes after the child was put under, Finley went into cardiac arrest. According to Ashley and Evan, the girl did not receive immediate CPR by the team at Geyer’s office.
The suit against Geyer and her team claims that they were not prepared for an emergency of this nature. They also pointed out that staff ran down the hall to ask for help from a pediatrician.
The family’s attorney says that the incident could have been avoided if the medications had been administered properly and the child’s vital signs monitored properly. The greatest shock, according to the family and their attorney, was the medications, the doses and the combination that was given to the small, young girl.
The family began a fund-raising page called Fundley for Finleyto help pay for Finley's medical care expenses.
“She will probably not be with us much longer," said Finley’s mother earlier Friday. "We were all hoping. Even the doctors are in tears. We were all just waiting for her to wake up."