- Special Features
Blogs & Columns
- Fun & Games
Skydiving is a thrilling activity that most people put on their “bucket list.” In this case, the thrill turned into real danger on Saturday, January 25, when a Texas teenager's parachute failed to properly open and she fell some 3,000 to 3,500 feet to earth.
According to KCENTV, Makenzie Wethington, 16, and her dad went skydiving in Oklahoma. But what started out as a father-daughter adventure quickly turned sour after an equipment malfunction.
As reported by the Associated Press, there was an issue with the parachute fully opening and that led to the high altitude drop, according to the owner and primary instructor of the company, Robert Swainson.
What a terrible situation to be in where gravity is not your friend. Not to mention, no one can physically help you. This story has a surprisingly happy ending, because not only is she still alive, but she also has so much to be thankful for.
"I don't know the particulars of the accident as I wasn't there. But if she truly fell 3,000 feet, I have no idea how she survived,” said trauma surgeon Jeffrey Bender, the Associated Press reported.
Wethington beat death and is in stable condition.
Life can suddenly be on one path, and in a few moments, that all changes and you have a different perspective.
image: Wikimedia Commons