|

Carbon monoxide leak kills one, sends 27 to hospital

By Rachel Grant,
A faulty pipe is to blame in a carbon monoxide leak that occurred in a New York mall

A carbon monoxide leak at Legal Sea Foods restaurant in Huntington Station, NY left one person dead, and sent 27 people to the hospital Saturday night.

According to Liberty Voice, Suffolk County police responded to a call a little after 6 p.m. Saturday evening to assist an injured woman in the basement of the restaurant when they discovered the restaurant's manager lying unconscious. The man was identified as 55-year old Steven Nelson, who suffered cardiac arrest and died while being transported to Huntington Hospital by ambulance.

Julie Robinson-Tingue, the spokesperson for Huntington Hospital, confirmed the death of Nelson, as well as the stable condition of three people who were being treated and the release of at least six people who had been treated.

Suffolk County Police Lt. Jack Fitzpatrick reported that when they arrived on the scene, emergency personnel began to feel dizzy and nauseous. That's when it was determined that carbon monoxide was the causing factor.

According to ABC News, a faulty water heater flue pipe was the cause of the leak. The building was not required to have carbon monoxide sensors, so there were no warnings of the colorless, odorless gas that is impossible to detect.

 

Fun Stuff

 

Join Our Newsletter

Popular Threads