- Special Features
Blogs & Columns
- Fun & Games
Paul Ciancia, the man accused of a deadly shooting spree at Los Angeles International Airport, is expected to be moved to a federal holding facility by the end of next week.
At a hearing on Monday, Ciancia’s public defender, John Littrell, told the court that he would be moving from a medical facility in a San Bernardino County jail to federal holding in downtown L.A., reports Reuters. Prosecutors also said that it will be determined in July whether or not the death penalty is sought.
On Nov. 1, Ciancia walked into LAX with an assault rifle, carrying a note that said he wanted to kill TSA agents and “instill fear in their traitorous minds," according to CBS Los Angeles. He shot and killed TSA agent Gerardo Hernandez and wounded three other people.
Ciancia had been in the medical facility due to injuries sustained during a shootout with the police who responded at the airport. He was shot in the head and leg.
Ciancia was charged with 11 counts, including murder and attempted murder, all of which he pleaded not guilty to.
It will be Attorney General Eric Holder’s choice over whether or not prosecutors will seek the death penalty for Ciancia.
Los Angeles Times reports approximately 140 discs and 7,000 pages of reports, interviews, photographs and other documents involved with the case have been collected by prosecutors.