ConEd paying almost 90 victims of fatal East Harlem explosion

By Daniel S Levine,

Consolidated Edison Inc. said Wednesday that it is compensating nearly 90 victims who were displaced due to last week’s fatal East Harlem explosion, which left eight people dead and over 60 injured.

The Wall Street Journal reports that the payments were announced a day after federal investigators determined that there was a gas main leak adjacent to 1646 Park Ave. That building and 1644 Park Ave. were both leveled in the March 12 explosion.

Con Ed spokesman Robert McGee said that payments were made to 87 people who were injured or displaced, reports NBC New York. He did not give the financial details for individual settlements. However, he did say that they were compensated after “one-on-one” meetings.

There is still no official cause for the explosion and the National Transportation Safety Board is currently investigating.

“We've been working with the city, the Salvation Army, and the Red Cross, and we've been meeting with those affected one-on-one to help them and their families with expenses, while also respecting their privacy,” McGee told the Wall Street Journal.

Fun Stuff

 
 

Join Our Newsletter

Popular Threads