|

Georgia man suffocates to death in stove vent

By Victoria Greene,

The body of a dead man was found in a stove vent in a Georgia store.

According to The New York Daily News, authorities believe Ken Singleton, 44, was trying to rob Greg’s Food Mart by climbing in through a vent over the stove. However, in doing so, Singleton got himself stuck and suffocated to death.

When employees arrived Saturday morning to work, they first noticed feet hanging from the stove vent and called authorities.

According to WDSU, the coroner has determined Singleton’s cause of death as positional asphyxia, which means that Singleton got himself into a position where he could not properly breathe.

"Positional asphyxia is more common than you think. It most frequently occurs in infants who are put in a position that covers their mouths and keeps them from breathing,” Jefferson Parish Coroner Gerry Cvitanovich said.

Singleton was likely stuck in the stove for several hours and during that time, in the narrow stove vent, he likely could not move one way or the other.

"He couldn't squeeze through and he couldn't get back up. He was compressed and that made it difficult for his chest to properly inhale,” Cvitanovich said.

 
 

Join Our Newsletter

Popular Threads