New 'Star Wars' movies won’t rely on Expanded Universe, casting announcement coming soon

By Daniel S Levine,

Disney has kept all developments on the Star Wars front surprisingly secret in recent months, but executives and those working on the movie have been allowed to tease fans with news - or in some cases, no news. Recently, we found out that the screenwriters won’t be bound to the previously established Expanded Universe and that casting news should be coming shortly.

Simon Kinberg, who worked on X-Men: First Class, is one of the writers on the Star Wars spinoff films and told IGN at WonderCon this weekend that the writing team definitely isn’t restricted by the Expanded Universe. The only canon for them is the main six films.

“You know, it’s not off-limits, and it’s certainly inspiring — I’m working on an animated show for [Lucasfilm] as well, Star Wars: Rebels, that will take inspiration from everywhere, but — I know for the movies, the canon is the canon, and the canon is the six films that exist,” Kinberg explained, notes THR.

So, while some elements of the books that kept Star Wars going during the 1980s and early 1990s may be included, fans shouldn’t be surprised if some things are changed.

Meanwhile, TheWrap reports that Disney Studios chairman Alan Horn told Bloomberg that casting is almost done.

“We're not prepared to announce it yet, but we will be very shortly,” Horn said at the Tribeca Film Festival.

Star Wars: Episode VII opens on Dec. 18, 2015 and, as far as we know, stars R2-D2. J.J. Abrams is directing.

Fun Stuff

 
 

Join Our Newsletter

Popular Threads