- Special Features
Blogs & Columns
- Fun & Games
Authorities have said that San Francisco 49ers linebacker Aldon Smith will not face felony charges for his alleged fake bomb threat at Los Angeles International Airport last week.
According to USA TODAY Sports, the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office announced the decision to turn Smith's case over to the city attorney's office for misdemeanor consideration on Thursday.
Smith was arrested at the airport on April 13 after allegedly indicating that he was in possession of a bomb. Officials said that the 24-year-old made the claim when he was going through security and randomly selected for secondary screening.
He was later released on $20,000 bail.
ESPN noted that the 24-year-old is due back in court on Tuesday to face felony weapons charges as well as a drunken driving charge.
After his most recent arrest, the Niners released a statement saying that the team was aware and “disappointed” in the LAX incident involving the embattled defensive lineman.
Smith’s future with the franchise is still up in the air, but many expect that the team will cut ties with him and that he will face disciplinary action from the NFL.