- Special Features
Blogs & Columns
- Fun & Games
Donald Sterling is raring for a fight as the Los Angles Clippers owner filed suit against the NBA, just as the league agreed to let Shelly Sterling sell the team to Steve Ballmer.
The league announced on Friday that team owners will not need to meet on ousting the Sterlings as owners, as the NBA has come to an agreement with Shelly Sterling and the Sterling Family Trust over the sale of the team, reports The Associated Press. The NBA will allow Shelly Sterling to sell the team to Ballmer for $2 billion.
The league said in a statement that part of the deal with Shelly includes an agreement "not to sue the NBA and to indemnify the NBA against lawsuits from others, including Donald Sterling."
Well minutes after the announcement, the Los Angeles Times reported that Donald filed suit on Friday accusing the league of antitrust violations, breach of contract and constitutional violations. He is seeking $1 billion in damages.
In the suit, Donald complains that the $2.5 million fine, lifetime ban and moves to boot him from the league were "draconian" and all revolves around an "illicit" recording of a private conversation between he and his girlfriend.
Before a sale of the Clippers to Ballmer can occur, the Board of Governors will need to vote, but it's hard to see them saying no to so easy and swift a way to rid them of a constant thorn in the side. Plus Ballmer previously said he wouldn't move the team and has a net worth of $20 billion.
News of his bid was first reported on Thursday, only the initial bid for the team was only $1.8 billion.