- Special Features
Blogs & Columns
- Fun & Games
Edgar Wright, the director of acclaimed comedies like Shaun of the Dead, has abruptly left Marvel’s Ant-Man film over creative differences.
In a brief statement to The Hollywood Reporter and other sites, Marvel said that the director and the studio split “due to differences in their vision of the film.” The decision was “amicable” and the studio said that it should not impact the planned release date, which is still July 17, 2015.
This is not the first time that Marvel and a director have parted ways. Back in December 2011, Monster director Patty Jenkins left the Thor sequel. She was later replaced by Game of Thrones director Alan Taylor.
Still, Wright leaving is a bit of a surprise. He appeared to be very enthusiastic about taking the film, which will center on the lesser-known Marvel hero. Marvel chief Kevin Fiege proudly said that it was Wright’s decision to cast Paul Rudd as the title character. Michael Douglas was also brought in to play Hank Pym, the scientist who invented the technology that allows Ant-Man to change sizes.
THR notes that Wright has also been involved with Ant-Man dating back to 2006. The pre-production process also already began and most of the supporting cast - which includes Evangeline Lilly, Michael Pena, Corey Stoll and Patrick Wilson - was set.
Wright hasn’t said anything on Twitter. Last year, Wright directed, The World’s End. His other credits include Scott Pilgrim vs. The World and Hot Fuzz.