- Special Features
Blogs & Columns
- Fun & Games
Officials from the U.S. will ‘hit the ground’ to assist Nigeria in finding the more than 200 schoolgirls that were kidnapped by a terrorist group.
According to CNN, Pentagon press secretary U.S. Navy Rear Adm. John Kirby said on Friday that U.S. military officials will join a team already advising Nigeria on the search.
The Independent noted that Secretary of State John Kerry added, "Our inter-agency team is hitting the ground in Nigeria now and they are going to be working in concert with President Goodluck Jonathan's government to do everything we can to return these girls to their families and their communities.”
On April 14, the extremist group Boko Haram, captured the girls from a secondary school in the village of Chibok, near the Cameroon border. About 50 were able to escape, but more than 200 are still missing.
Since then, the Nigerian government has had no luck in locating the schoolgirls and the group has continued to wreak havoc on civilians, other countries have offered to help in the search and defeat the terrorists.
Reuters reported that the U.K. already has a team on the ground and that France and China have offered assistance.
“We are also going to do everything possible to counter the menace of Boko Haram,” Kerry said.