- Special Features
Blogs & Columns
- Fun & Games
The U.S. government has agreed to send a team to Nigeria to help rescue the schoolgirls who were taken from from their school by the Islamist militant group Boko Haram. The group took over 200 girls and their leader said that they will sell them.
The abduction occurred last month at the Government Girls Secondary School in Chibok, Borno State, but only recently has gained attention within Nigeria and around the world thanks to social media. On Monday, the leader of Boko Haram released a video, confirming that his group took the girls and calling for the end of Western-style education. It’s been reported that the same group took another eight girls this week.
Now, the U.S. is ready to help, answering calls from Nigeria President Goodluck Jonathan’s plea for international intervention. According to USA Today, White House press secretary Jay Carney said that the Obama Administration will send military and law enforcement personnel to the region. They will be experts in several key skills needed for this type of situation, including hostage negotiations.
Nigeria’s Channels TV reports that Jonathan accepted the offer during a phone conversation with U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry.
“Mr Kerry assured President Jonathan that the United States’ is wholly committed to giving Nigeria all required support and assistance to save the abducted girls and bring the reign of terror unleashed on parts of the country by Boko Haram to an end,” the Nigerian government said in a statement.