|

Seventeen dogs found dead at Arizona pet-boarding facility

By Michelle Kapusta,

More than a dozen dogs died at a pet-boarding facility in Gilbert, Arizona last week.

The Arizona Republic noted that the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office called the deaths a “tragic accident” that happened after one of the dogs apparently chewed through a power cord.

MCSO officials said that after the dog chewed through the electrical cord, it took out the power to the Green Acre pet-boarding facility where the canines were housed.

The dogs died of heat exhaustion and the incident is believed to have occurred sometime between late Thursday evening and early Friday morning.

Fox 10 News reported that the son and daughter-in-law of U.S. Senator Jeff Flake were caring for the dogs while the boarding house owners were out of town. Austin Flake and his wife were in charge of taking care of the property until the owners returned from Florida.

Pet owners were contacted with the terrible news on Saturday. Some said they were originally told that their pets ran away after the air-conditioning went out. No charges have been filed at this time.

"There is going to be a follow-up investigation," said MCSO spokesman Chris Hegstrom. "It doesn't end here."

 
 

Join Our Newsletter

Popular Threads