- Special Features
Blogs & Columns
- Fun & Games
A woman in Kansas was arrested after she started a fire in her duplex in an attempt to kill a spider.
According to The Hutchinson News, fire officials were called to Ginny M. Griffith’s residence on Friday around 1:30 a.m. to extinguish a small fire on her side of the duplex.
WTSP noted that the 34-year-old started the fire by burning some towels with a cigarette lighter. She figured that by burning the little arachnid she would be sure that it could not lay eggs or get back into her home.
Deputy Fire Chief Doug Hanen said that firefighters arrived to find light smoke coming from the duplex and were able to contain the fire within a few minutes.
The building suffered minor smoke damage, but because the other half of the duplex was occupied, Griffith was charged with aggravated arson.
She was being held at the Reno County jail on $7,500 bond.
No word if the spider ever made it out or not.