- Special Features
Blogs & Columns
- Fun & Games
Law enforcement officials said that the casino Caesars Atlantic City was robbed and the thieves made off with more than $180,000 in cash.
According to The Press of Atlantic City, which obtained a flier on the incident, two masked men, one brandishing a gun, robbed the casino Monday morning.
Although authorities have declined to release any further details on the robbery, the flier said that the suspects got away with two cash boxes containing $181,200. The robbers then fled in a car around 6:20 a.m.
As USA Today noted, this robbery comes at a time when the city’s casinos have been struggling financially.
In January, Atlantic Club Casino Hotel closed down after 33 years in operation and just last month, Showboat Atlantic City announced that it will close on Aug. 31. Revel Casino Hotel also announced that it will shut its doors this summer if a buyer is not found and Trump Plaza is expected to close in September.
The State Police Casino Gaming Bureau is investigating the heist and asking anyone with information on either of the suspects or their whereabouts to contact the bureau.