|

South Dakota man chokes to death during hot dog eating contest

By Michelle Kapusta,

A man in South Dakota died after choking on a hot dog while trying to put down as many as he could during a competitive-eating contest.

According to the Rapid City Journal, a stunned crowd looked on as Walter Eagle Tail began to choke on one of the dogs.

Emergency responders were called to the scene and desperately tried to save the 47-year-old contestant.

"Basically, he probably just suffocated. It got lodged in his throat and they couldn't get it out,” said Custer County Sheriff Rick Wheeler.

Eagle Tail was transported to a local hospital where he died a short time later.

The tragic incident happened during a contest on July 3, the same week that many hot dog eating competitions including the famous Nathan’s hot dog eating contest, took place.

TMZ Sports noted that in the wake of Eagle Tail’s death, organizers of the Way Park event canceled a pie-eating contest which was scheduled to take place the next day.

 
 

Join Our Newsletter

Popular Threads